If there’s one thing that’s sure in life, it’s the fact that it’s very unpredictable sometimes.
One moment you’re just minding your own business, the next you find yourself being harassed or threatened.
Because the world like to throw things our way, it’s never a bad thing to have something on your person that you can use to defend yourself. Preferably, an item that looks like an everyday tool – but can also be used as a weapon.
Well, it sounds like you could use a tactical pen.
A tactical pen is the tool of the trade of many preppers, survivalists, and outdoor enthusiasts. It’s referred to as a multi-tool because you can use it as a pen (obviously), as well as a powerful self-defense tool.
Today, we’re going to talk about the advantages of carrying the best tactical pen as part of your everyday carry. Plus, we’re also rounding up some of the top-rated pens that you can find online.
Why Carry a Tactical Pen?
Let’s face it, not everyone is cut out to carry a knife or gun. However, most people do have a pen with them at all times, so why not carry a tactical pen? Just by carrying a tactical pen, you are preemptively preparing yourself as a “hard target” against a potential threat.
Here are some of the well-known advantages of carrying a tactical pen:
- Easy to use
- Easy to conceal
- You can take it anywhere
- Rapidly accessible
- Excellent tool for emergencies like when you need to break a car window or need a whistle
- It can be easily clipped to your blouse, suit, shirt, etc.
- Some models can be used as a fire-starter
- Excellent self-defense tool
- You can still use it as a regular pen!
How We Chose Our Ratings
It might not seem like it, but there are numerous brands and models of tactical pens that you can buy. Thus, choosing the best tactical pen is not as straightforward as one would expect.
For this write-up, we have considered many key factors (price, features, comfort, durability ease of use, etc.) for choosing the ideal pen for your self-defense and utilitarian needs. Plus, we have also checked out the reviews for each of the product and have taken them into account for our ratings.
We do not guarantee that you will like all the featured tactical pens here but there’s a great chance that you’ll find one that will meet your needs and requirements.
What are the Best Tactical Pens?
It’s time to get to the good stuff. Below are some of the top-rated tactical pens that you can buy online.
Schrade SCPEN4BK Tactical Pen
- DIMENSIONS: 5.9 inch (15 cm) overall length and a weight of 1.7 ounces
- DURABLE: Pen is made of reliable CNC Machined 6061 T6 Aluminum
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip and screw-off top making...
- Price: $$
- Weight: 1.7 ounces
- Length: 5.9 inches
- Notable features: CNC Machined 6061 T6 Aluminum, convenient pocket clip and screw-off top, defensive endpoint/glass break, Ferro rod with striker plate, whistle cap, refillable
- Best use: Survival, camping, EDC, self-defense
As far as tactical pens go, the Schrade SCPEN4BK Tactical Pen is one of the top ones.
This pen is loaded with utilities and features. This one ticks all the right checkboxes when it comes to a reliable tactical pen. The design itself doesn’t look like your regular pen and it’s also worth mentioning that it’s a fairly heavy model.
However, in terms of utility, this pen is a tough one to beat.
It’s made of CNC Machined 6061 T6 Aluminum so it’s about as tough as you can get without adding too much weight. For emergency purposes, you can use the endpoint to break glass, the whistle cap for calling attention to yourself, and a ferro rod for starting a fire.
This one is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts and survivalists.
Under Control Tactical Pen
- #1 BEST-SELLING BLACK TACTICAL PEN WITH LED FLASH LIGHT - There's LOTS of Reasons Why...
- PERFECT-SIZE FOR CONCEALMENT AND EVERYDAY CARRY! - Looking for the ULTIMATE portable...
- BUILT. LIKE. A. TANK. - You'll NEVER have to worry about the Under Control Tactical Pen...
- Price: $$
- Weight: 3.52 ounces
- Length: 6.5 inches
- Notable features: Black finish, compact design, easy to carry, glass breaker, LED flashlight, Fisher Space Pen ink cartridges compatible
- Best use: EDC, self-defense, tactical
The Under Control Tactical Pen can be best described as the “but wait there’s more” pen because it’s simply jam-packed with security features.
Perhaps the most noteworthy function of the pen is the addition of a super-bright LED flashlight, perfect for illuminating your way or toward any possible threat. There’s also a DNA catcher ring which you can’t just use for jabbing or poking an attacker, it’s also for collecting the aggressor’s DNA which you can use for identification later on.
For emergencies, you have the edge for breaking glass. The jagged edge can also be used for self-defense purposes. The pen can be rather heavy but that’s understandable since it’s loaded with features.
It’s a true tactical option for those who are looking to expand their EDC kit.
Gerber Impromtu Tactical Pen
- MULTI-USE TACTICAL PEN: Features push button mechanism for ball point deployment and...
- SURVIVAL GEAR AND EQUIPMENT: Made from machined steel body with Cerakote that will stand...
- EVERYDAY DESIGN: Fits easily into your pocket and daily routine at work, school, or the...
- Price: $$$
- Weight: 2.24 ounces
- Length: 5.59 inches
- Notable features: Machined steel body, stainless steel pocket clip, push button mechanism, integrated glass-breaker tip, Rite In The Rain ink cartridge compatible.
- Best use: EDC, self-defense, tactical
The Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen should be an easy recommendation if you’re looking for a high-end model.
As you can see from the price, this is by no means a cheap pen. However, you are buying into the reliability and functionality of the product. After all, Gerber is one of the best tactical brands out there.
The pen is made of machined steel with a tempered window-shattering tip design, so it’s enough for breaking glass and defending yourself from a potential assailant. The grip is coated with Cerakote that provides superior grip even during stressful situations. It’s also worth mentioning that the clip is very strong, ensuring that the pen stays with you.
Another thing that we love about the Impromptu is that it isn’t too bulky or heavy. It’s simply a solid, heavy-duty tactical tool that will serve you well during unpredictable situations.
Smith & Wesson Tactical Pen
- DIMENSIONS: 6.1 inch (15.5 cm) overall length and a weight of 1.4 ounces
- DURABLE: Pen is made of reliable T6061 Aircraft Aluminum
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip and pull-off top making...
- Price: $
- Weight: 1.4 ounces
- Length: 6.1 inches
- Notable features: Made of T6061 Aircraft Aluminum, pocket clip and pull-off top, Schmidt P900M Parker Style Black Ball Point Cartridges compatible
- Best use: Outdoor, survival, EDC, self-defense
From the manufacturer of quality firearms comes the Smith & Wesson Tactical Pen.
This pen is another tough entry as it’s made of T6061 Aircraft Aluminum, so it can definitely survive tougher conditions like the outdoors. The grip’s design is also a standout and it offers superior grip and comfort. It comes with a glass-breaking function which is always a nice thing to have.
Another great feature is that the end tip can both be used as a self-defense tool and a stylus for smartphones and tablets.
At just under an ounce, this is one of the lightest tactical pens on our list. The 6-inch length is also the perfect size. In terms of size and weight, this pen is just perfect for concealment purposes. The pen is also available in four different colors.
It’s a fairly bare-bones pen but it’s hard to complain with that price.
2cl Direct Tactical Pen
No products found.
- Price: $
- Weight: 1.28 ounces
- Length: 6.3 inches
- Notable features: Tungsten carbide tip glass breaker, tactical led flashlight, heaven writing ballpoint pen, hex wrench, scraper, bottle opener, screwdriver
- Best use: Outdoor, survival, EDC, self-defense, law enforcement
The No products found. features a great balance of value and utility.
In under $15, this pen is basically a tactical + multi-tool pen. The end is made of tough tungsten carbide and can be used to break glass, ceramic and metal. The grip design allows you to pull a thumb grip for dealing with nastier situations. The pen is capable of doing some serious damage to any would-be threats.
The addition of a 60 lumen LED flashlight is useful for lighting dark areas and your potential aggressor. And then, we come to the multi-tool which has a bottle opener, scraper, screwdriver, hex wrench, and serrated edge.
How’s that for utility?
The pen itself writes well but you can also use the endpoint as a stylus for your smartphones and tablets. For the price, it’s hard not to love this product.
ATOMIC BEAR Tactical Pen
- ▶ LOOKING FOR A SERIOUS TACTICAL PEN? – The SWAT Pen by the Atomic Bear exhibits...
- ▶ EXTRAS YOU WON’T FIND ELSEWHERE – Includes a proprietary Atomic Bear tac pen...
- ▶ A BALLPOINT PEN THAT CAN TAKE A BEATING – Plain and simple design boasting the...
- Price: $
- Weight: 5 ounces
- Length: 6 inches
- Notable features: Low profile design, military-grade aluminum, extra-hard tungsten carbide head, refillable, free self-defense training, free 600D nylon belt pouch
- Best use: Self-defense, survival, EDC
We have another budget-friendly pen for you, and it’s shaping up to be an excellent model.
The ATOMIC BEAR Tactical Pen will cost you a little less than $15. But don’t let the low price fool you because this is a really solid tactical tool.
The pen is a bit on the heavier side, but it does feel high-quality and feels great on the hand. The military-grade aluminum does wonders for the toughness of the pen. Even after some intensive uses, the pen still looks pristine and it’s definitely not going to break anytime soon.
The tungsten carbide head is ideal for breaking glass as well as a defensive tool versus potential threats. The optimum design of the grip allows for a tighter handling which is essential during self-defense situations.
Not too many features and utilities, but this pen did everything right on what it has.
BellFyd Tactical Pen
- [SMALL &POWERFUL]: The tactical pen is a Ballpoint Pen and is also 2 Light Modes LED...
- [PROTECT YOURSELF & FAMILY]: You can use the survival pen break the window with a single...
- [EDC]: Only 43g, equivalent to the weight of fountain self defense pen, so you can easily...
- Price: $
- Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Length: 6.3 inches
- Notable features: Made of military-grade tungsten steel, glass breaker, LED flashlight, screwdriver, wrench, bottle opener
- Best use: Tactical, EDC, self-defense, survival
The BellFyd Tactical Pen is definitely a looker. I’m not sure about everyone else but I really like the chrome finish. But this product is not just about its looks.
Like the previous model, this pen comes with a multi-tool as well. It comes with a bottle opener, cutter, screwdriver, wrench, and a glass breaker. So even if you don’t come across any threats, you will see a lot of use for this tactical tool.
The LED flashlight is great as well and is surprisingly very bright. It’s a pretty good source of illumination. The glass breaker works well, and the extra utilities have worked fine during our tests.
The only drawbacks that we could think of are the weight which can be heavy for some people. The packaging also leaves a lot to be desired. Overall, this is a great tactical tool that is worth twice its price.
CampCo UZI Tactical Pen
- FEATURES: Multi purpose survival gadget with a pen that provides a smooth writing...
- USES: A real ballpoint tactical pen that becomes a tactical tool in-case of emergency that...
- REFILLS, MATERIAL & WARRANTY: Refillable with Standard and fisher space pen refills and...
- Price: $
- Weight: 7 ounces
- Length: 6 inches
- Notable features: Refillable with standard and fisher space pen refills, tactical glass breaker, carbide tip, gun-metal finish
- Best use: Self-defense, EDC, law enforcement
The CampCo UZI Tactical Pen is our last featured product but certainly not the least.
The best part about this tactical glass breaker pen is that it’s actually a good writing tool. You can use it on a daily basis which is not a problem because you can easily refill the ink with standard and fisher space pen cartridges.
As for the tactical features, the endpoint of the pen can be used as a glass breaker. This is in case that you want to escape from a burning car or a building, as well as other emergency situations. That’s right, the endpoint is also tough enough for jabbing or stabbing, and it could cause some real damage when aimed right.
The pen is made of aircraft grade aluminum so there’s no doubt about its durability. Overall, this CampCo pen is a solid choice when it comes to tactical tools.
Better Safe than Sorry
When things go south, having the best tactical pen can mean your very survival. You just don’t know what life might throw your way.
If you are already carrying a pen, why not upgrade it to something that you can use in emergency situations? Have you used a tactical pen before? Do you have a favorite in mind? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Last update on 2022-08-10 at 19:24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API